Podcast: Play in new window
In this archival episode, I sit down with Fei Wu – the creator and host of Feisworld Podcast and the Founder of Feisworld LLC. Listen in as we discuss her journey of building a popular podcast, connecting with amazing and fascinating guests, and leaving a “steady” job to follow her dream.
- How Fei became a host at a very young age (and what that did to influence her podcast creation in the future)
- The truth about how many podcasts are started and never finished
- Fei’s process for maintaining consistency
- How Dim Sum factored into Fei starting her podcast
- Why it’s ok to quit and how important that realization is to being able to move forward with your projects
- How Fei defines the word “work”
- Why it’s so important for all podcasters to decide which metrics matter
- The “trigger” that caused people from the podcast to become clients for Fei’s freelance business (and what most people forget to do when connecting with potential clients)
- The best way to reach out to someone who you know you can help without offending them (and coming off as a jerk)
- Why it’s actually a bad idea to use your industry’s jargon and how it can actually repel clients
- How Fei handles being in the middle when people approach her about connecting with her guests (and what she does if she is considering connecting someone)
- What to do when the interview is not a match and why it’s ok to call it off
- Fei’s personal process for saying no and her philosophy on how to respond when you get pitched by a wrong fit
- And much more!
Fei Wu is a bilingual podcaster (English and Mandarin Chinese), the creator and host of Feisworld Podcast / 菲的世界播客, which attracts 75,000 downloads and listeners from 40 countries. Fei left her job in marketing and advertising to build a company of her own called Feisworld LLC, with a mission to help small businesses and people tell better stories, find more customers, and create new revenue streams. She was born in Beijing, China, educated in Boston, and has a 3rd-Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. She also worked as a DJ for the China National Radio Station (CNR) at the age of 16.
Mentioned in this episode:
Learn more about Fei Wu:
Learn more about Michael Roderick: